Here you will discover a variety of content regarding one of the most diverse mammalian families on the planet—the family Mustelidae. Genuine Mustelids is a website for people who see more than “cute” or “vicious” in these animals—specifically, those who love mustelids and seeing them in media, but still value an adequate degree of anatomical detail, as well as factual information about the family that is neither sensationalistic, romanticised, or overgeneralised. We provide less mainstream facts about numerous species, links to a large list of media, as well as honourable rescue and conservation organisations. In essence, we are a miniature online encyclopedia combining both science and popular culture to help promote a more insightful image of mustelids.
Promoting uncharismatic minifauna
When it comes to various types of media, many mustelid species are often demonised or overlooked in favour of more appealing mammals. Mustelids are feisty, resourceful, and extraordinarily complex creatures, and it is a shame we often fixate on their predation habits, odour, or fur value, instead of taking notice of their other traits or even vulnerabilities. Popularity does not necessarily mean better, and one of our many goals is to help bring attention to these underrated animals, and show they can be just as capable and captivating as the more familiar mammals in the order Carnivora.
Debunking myths while encouraging critical thinking
Due to their caricatured features and typecast roles in classic media, and the public’s general lack of interest in learning about what real mustelids are like beyond all the myths and overgeneralising of their diet and behaviour, most species tend to be misrepresented, misidentified, and generally misunderstood across the board. To add to this confusion, they are often arbitrarily compared to or vernacularly named after species of felines, canines, rodents, and other unrelated animals, rather than being viewed as their own elaborate yet independent family.
Genuine mustelids are far more diverse and complex than the rumours and urban legends that often precede them. We aspire to lessen common misunderstandings by providing facts about their true nature, appearance, and overlooked merits. Focusing on these essentials, we hope all our viewers leave having learnt something new about these animals. [Read more about our project…]
• Gobbly was added to Mustelids in Animation under Polecats.
• Fluffy and Scratcher were added to Mustelids in Animation under Weasels.
• Mustelid Madness was added to Rescue, Conservation, and Education under Concerns Multiple Mustelids.
• Boris Badger: Boris learns a lesson was added to Children’s Literature under Badgers.
• Peter Marten & Friends: Stories from the Newfoundland and Labrador Forest was added to Children’s Literature under Martens.
• Monica Mink was added to Children’s Literature under Minks
• Two for Me, One for You was added to Children’s Literature under Weasels.
• The Secret Life of the Pine Marten was added to Documentaries under Martens.
• Max was added to Mustelids in Animation under Badgers.
A list of news and additions to our website for the past 12 months.
A gallery of mustelid photography taken by members of our team.
For creators interested in mustelid species that rarely appear in art, literature, games, or animation.